Monday, September 6, 2010

Stereotypes

The term "politically correct" means different things to different people.  To a politician, it may mark the fine line between being elected or not being elected.  Politicians definitely need to be politically correct.  For a comedian, it may be the easiest and fastest route to a laugh.  Comedians definitely like to be politically incorrect.  For your average American, they are a couple of words that frequently get in the way of a good time, but at the same time, frequently help to keep us in line. 

The comedian often will often use stereotypes, or oversimplified standardizations of a group, in a very politically incorrect manner.  Their targets include pretty much any race imaginable, both genders, those in between, and all religions.   In one of my less politically correct entries, I will confirm and deny some typical Chinese Stereotypes.

1.    Slanted Eyes

Many Americans believe that a common characteristic among Chinese is slanted eyes.  Interestingly enough, however, in my section of China, slanted eyes are very uncommon. 

2.    Short Stature

Many people believe that a characteristic of Chinese is being somewhat short in stature (with the exception of Yao Ming).  This rumor holds some truth.  The average height in China is much shorter than in America.  5’6” is average for a male in China, compared to 5’10” in the US.   In the North of China, however, the people can be quite tall.  My host brother, as you will see in pictures, is actually taller than I am.  Southern Chinese people tend to be the shorter Chinese that we typically stereotype.
My Host Brother

3.    The World Hates Americans

This stereotype has less to do with China on its own but more to do with a worldwide stereotype.  This is not true whatsoever from my experience so far in China.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, people go crazy when they see an American!  When I met the mayor of Jiamusi last Saturday, he looked at me slightly differently, as many others do.  It seems to me that there is a respect resonating in that glance.  Not only do they respect us because of our wealth and power, but because we obtained it through democracy, through freedom and through the right to equal opportunity.  The foreignness of this idea only makes it more impressive to the Chinese.

4.     The Chinese are Good at Ping Pong

My 9-year old opponent and her ping pong coach
True.  So unbelievably true!   My host brother had a ping pong practice (yes practice, like football or soccer or lacrosse) last Sunday, and I tagged along.  Those of you who have played me in ping pong know that I feel pretty confident in my abilities.  I can hold my own against most people I have played in the States.  However, here my first opponent was just too good for me.  She (yes, she) was too quick, too powerful, too skilled and too well practiced in the art of ping pong for me to keep up with.  The really deflating part of this is that she was only nine years old!  We had quite a battle, and although the scoreboard showed an even score, we both knew who was the king (or queen) of the table-and it was unquestionably she.

5.    Bathrooms & diapers

I was asked by a few of you about “going on the street” – I am afraid it is true.  And the toilets at school are pretty gross –they are squat toilets, and there is no toilet paper.
...And as for the diaper question, Mrs. (Marnie) Owens – you got it, they are just introducing diapers here! Traditionally babies wear an outfit with a slit in the back, and are taught to squat at a very early age…  I know, right?

1 comment:

Remy said...

P.K. I love your blog and I would like to offer some free investment advice: Continue your blog but don't publish it. When you get home take it to a wellknown publishing Co. in NY, cut a deal with them and your are settled for life! You can start your bi-coastal life right away. You have talent!
All the best and ENJOY! Remy